Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"Support Our Troops"

I read this article today in the LA Times about how men and women who have been injured in Iraq have to go through layers and layers of bureaucracy to be able to receive disability aid and many are forced to make a decision between receiving a $8,000 check or receiving continuing aid from the VA. Many are making this decision while suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

The above story is about a soldier being supported by some friends who are lawyers and businessmen, but most don't have that kind of support.

It seems to me that helping these people out is how we can "support our troops." I don't think that you have to advocate war to support our troops. Our own government and military sure supports more fighting, but I don't think this story helps me believe that they "support our troops." I would love to try and find out more how we can be activists for this issue. I would rather be positive in helping fight for aid for these injured soldiers than just denouncing the war effort or denouncing Bush or something like that. It just seems more productive.

No comments: