Tuesday, March 27, 2007

AIDS Services Foundation Story

So I was working yesterday at the OC ASF on a mailing to send to supporters and doing some help with an email about the OC AIDS Walk and in the office behind my little desk is the Housing Services Supervisor. While I'm working a man walks in to meet with the Housing Services man about help with his living situation. I can't help but hear the conversation and it was my first taste of what ASF does for people. This person was a homosexual male who attends a popular church in the area and was just diagnosed with HIV a few months ago. He is struggling to make ends meet with having to take time off for treatments and feeling sick from before he started medications and some other things. It didn't sound like he was in a great financial position before he was diagnosed, but now it's even more difficult - especially emotionally. He is going to receive some help from ASF for this month's bills and then they are going to meet with him again to see if some potential employment opportunities work out.

I didn't get to meet this man and I don't even know his name, but I was praying for him throughout his meeting while attaching labels to envelopes. That's bridgebuilding.

Another housing services person was acting all funny because I am a pastor and I had to say again that I don't mind if they cuss. But then she said, "Wow, I can't believe you are a pastor." And she acted all weird and flustered, so I said, "If you ever need to talk..." She just laughed but it's cool that I could make myself available.

No comments: