Thursday, March 15, 2007

I HAVE OFFICIALLY DECIDED

I am going to meet with the head of the PhD Program at Talbot today and officially drop out of the program. This is a big decision, but I believe it's the right one for multiple reasons.
1. I am feeling more and more called to being a pastor long-term and even being more of a preaching pastor and potentially leading a church or even planting a church someday.
2. After observing the professors, graduates of the program, and the current students I don't think that I want to be in the academic world full-time. I feel like I would love to be an adjunct youth ministry or other practical ministry professor and teach one class while still working full-time in the church.
3.I simply don't have time to put the proper amount of focus and energy into the program. With working at Calvary and overseeing all of Student Ministries and the Elevation service I feel pretty busy in the sense of study and work. Also, with my wonderful wife, almost four year old girl, and another daughter due in July, I don't want to be spending all my free time reading and writing papers. We put Grace down at 7:30 or 8:00pm and then I'm supposed to start doing homework after getting to work at 8am in the morning. It's just not going to happen.

So I know that I can always go back later in life if I want to. I'm only 32. I meet with my professor today at 3:00pm. I'm kind of dreading talking to him. I feel like we are breaking up or something.

All I feel is relief and happiness. Big sigh of stress leaving my body...aaahhhhhh...

2 comments:

ashdown said...

wow bro. that is huge. glad you feel at peace about it - and like ya said - you have plenty o time to finish that.

Anonymous said...

I'm just jealous. - melbro