Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A Little Props to Falwell

I saw this article on FOXNews.com (full disclosure - Peter showed it to me). But it paints a slightly different picture of The Jerry. Look for the part about desegregating churches. That shows how he was initially part of a segregated church movement and took heat for changing it.

This along with the Larry Flynt quote and an endorsement from Clyde Cook make me think of Jerry a bit differently.

The quote is below but see the full op-ed piece that Larry Flynt wrote about Jerry Falwell here.
The truth is, the reverend and I had a lot in common. He was from Virginia, and I was from Kentucky. His father had been a bootlegger, and I had been one too in my 20s before I went into the Navy. We steered our conversations away from politics, but religion was within bounds. He wanted to save me and was determined to get me out of "the business."

My mother always told me that no matter how repugnant you find a person, when you meet them face to face you will always find something about them to like. The more I got to know Falwell, the more I began to see that his public portrayals were caricatures of himself. There was a dichotomy between the real Falwell and the one he showed the public.
Larry Flynt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post Eric. Thanks for the follow up. It's too bad more of the truth about Jerry doesn't make the headlines.

But then again, we don't really believe the media has ever been fair in regards to Jerry?

Thanks for the post.

Melissa Brosch said...

Sweet little post Eric, but we all know that you are just trying to make up for the fact that you made Jerry die. Nice try though.