Sunday, October 21, 2007

NYWC - Saturday Report

I forgot to say how amazing this band called Family Force 5 was. Both awesome, hilarious, and mind-blowing at the same time.
Also, Phil Wickham was unbelievable. I loved his short set. He has the most haunting, beautiful voice and I love his lyrical complexity. I have always known and listened to some Wickham, but this made me love his stuff and I want to buy his new CD.

Then, for the General Session 4 with Doug Fields.
  • Grits played which are cool and all, but I was just over it
  • They had a girl share from stage who was raised as a Compassion kid in the Philippines. She was the best part of this session. She has been able to do so much through God and the work of Compassion.
  • My only critique of the general sessions has been these weird "That's My Story" videos about a guy named Mark. They are Velveeta cheesy. The production is over the top sappy which I don't usually expect from YS. We think they might be the story of Marko's life and so I must say that it's not the story that's bad, it's the production.
  • Then Doug Fields spoke on "Ministry Envy" which was good for me to hear.
  • "Our critical comments are a mask for envy"
  • "When we talk about everything we are against, we lose the message of what we are for."
  • "Celebrating others is the antidote of envy"
  • "At the heart of envy is the lie that God owes you something."
I have been very impressed with the General Sessions this year. Usually I am bored by half the speakers, but this year has been hit after hit after hit.

2 comments:

marko said...

dude, NOT my life!

Eric Wakeling said...

sorry Marko. Today we found out the "Mark" character's wife left him so I realized that it's not your life.